DHI Hair Transplant
DHI Hair Transplant is a technique that has been used more frequently since 2016.
Each technique has its own peculiarities and advantages in terms of results of hair transplantation. It is important that you consider the recommendations of your doctor regarding the technique that will give you the best results as well as searching for hair transplant clinics, while deciding about the hair transplant technique.
Since doctors began to perform hair transplant surgeries successfully, some of the techniques, such as FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation), FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) and DHI (Direct Hair Implantation), came to the fore.
The DHI hair transplant technique is actually based on the FUE hair transplant technique. In other words, “Direct Hair Implantation” is actually one of the different implementations of FUE. Grafts, that is, healthy hair follicles, are extracted from the nape of the neck (and occasionally from the beard or chest) with the help of micromotors, as in the classical FUE technique, and transplanted into balding areas. The difference in DHI hair transplantation technique is beyond this point. Healthy hair follicles extracted from the donor area are transplanted immediately in DHI hair transplantation. Therefore, it is called “Direct Hair Transplantation”, that is, DHI. Also, this technique uses a pen-like specially designed device called “Choi”. The DHI technique is also known as the “Choi” method, because of the name given to the device.
How DHI Hair Transplant Works
Local anesthesia will be applied to the area which will be operated during DHI hair transplantation. The hair follicles in the donor area will be loosened with the help of a special device and extracted individually. The collected healthy follicles are immediately placed on the bald area with a pen called Choi.
It is not possible to keep the follicles in a solution as in other FUE techniques. Therefore, transplantation cannot be delayed as the rate of survival of the grafts is important, because it is thought that immediate transplantation reduces the amount of hair loss after the operation.
However, there is no scientific evidence that the DHI method is more successful or more disadvantageous than the FUE method.
The diameter of the cylindrical-tipped Choi implanter pen varies between 0.65 to 1 mm. Two to six Choi implanter pens and 10 to 15 pieces of hollow needles of Choi implanter pen are used during the procedure. The healthy hair follicles are extracted from the donor area inside the hollow needle of Choi implanter pen. After extraction of hair follicles, the doctor completes the transplantation by using the pen at approximately 45-degree angle and in the direction your hair grows.
What Are the Advantages of DHI Hair Transplant?
- One of the most important advantages of this technique is that it allows for hair transplantation without shaving, as in FUE techique. This allows for easier transplantation among the hair in areas that are not completely bald. It especially allows for denser hair transplantation in small areas. For this reason, this technique is preferred more when hair transplantation is performed in women.
- DHI hair transplant has a much more advanced technology. It allows for a denser and faster hair transplantation via thin needle of the Choi implanter pen. Also, the direction that the hair grows can be determined as desired. This gives the hair a natural look.
- Since there is no obligation to open channels in the recipient area, the existing healthy hair follicles will not be damaged in any way during transplantation. Having no holes, cuts and stitches in the operation area both minimizes the risk of bleeding and reduces the recovery period.
- New hair follicles implanted with the DHI method grow faster, because hair follicles are implanted without any delay which allows cell division in the hair to resume.
- The recovery is faster as the trauma associated with the procedure is minimal in the donor area where the hair was extracted.
Local anesthesia is used in DHI hair transplantation technique to remove the feeling of pain. The patient can return to daily life after the surgery.
Points To Consider When Choosing DHI Hair Transplant
- Extra attention should be paid as the technique requires precision. This requires a high level of expertise of the doctor who will perform the procedure.
- The procedure should be performed by an experienced specialist doctor in a compotent clinic as the opening of the channels is different than in the classical FUE hair transplant. The reason is that each follicle is implanted immediately after it is extracted in the DHI hair transplant technique. Therefore, it requires plenty of experience to harvest these follicles at the same angle and direction as the follicles implanted previously.
- This operation may take longer than the classic FUE method. For example, in FUE, an operation with 4000 grafts can be completed in about 6 hours, while a DHI hair transplant with same number of grafts can be completed in two days with 6 hours of operation each day.
Our solution partners